Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Slide envy

I really didn't think that I would blog this much but since it never gets dark here, I find myself fooled at the time of day. We find ourselves captivated at the allure of DNP and return daily. It is astounding to see the vast number of mountains and endless trees blanketing the earthen floor. Each time of day along with constant changing weather patterns reflect a stunning attraction that rejuvenates our soul.
With layered clothing and packs loaded we drove a very popular hike called Savage River. There were hoards of tourists, like us, at the trail head but I refused to succumb to disappointment so we purged the car of our goods and continued forward. The trail meandered along the raging river at times only inches from its indiscriminate swiftness.

Further in, we had won claim to the trail. The wet tundra of Denali stunts the growth of years old trees, while the moist soil provides nourishment for the lush prickly bushes.

The trail temporarily released its grip from the churning river and bestowed us this grandeur view. 

For fear of a pratfall, my trekking poles helped to guide my skillful movement over the rock trodden marked path.

Ahh, what a perfect time to reflect upon the wonders of the world! 

The mountains are so astounding that I must remind myself to look down, and just in time to catch this little arctic squirrel gathering grasses to build it's winter nest. There is limited time to prepare for the coldest part of the year. These creatures are furious to beat the season clock.

The truth is that only 35% of people visit DNP, and of those, only 20% will ever see MtMcKinley.
We have been honored to be a part of that 20% club! Though we are many miles away one can feel the awe inspiring size this mammoth mountain possesses. This is merely the tip of her majesty.

I thought that I would give my readers a glimpse of what a grocery store looks like in the "village" of Denali, otherwise known as the valley. The liquor store is the grocery store, so you figure out just how much food they sell!

The valley, looking northbound.

Still heading north, we are in search of a store that sells fresh fruits and vegetables.

uhhh, found a store and a brew pub! This has got to be the best day yet!

This is our campground digs on the south side of the park. Whilst were were gallivanting around town we had company move in beside us. As you know, we are in the foreground. The other massive motor homes are so humongous that they have dwarfed our cherished wheelhouse! Not only that they each have 4, yes I said, 4 slides! Now Nancy has slide envy....
Is it really necessary to taunt?

I am NOT going to find a job in order to make payment on a new moterhome! Or am I??
  

No comments:

Post a Comment